This page is our totally up-to-date one-stop-shop for everything that is currently happening at Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and all of Universal Orlando Resort!
Now that you’ve found this page, you don’t have to worry about rummaging through thousands of message board posts or waiting until you get to the parks to find out about attraction refurbs, construction projects, special events, and everything else that could affect your visit. (Yeah, this is a good page to bookmark.)
For your convenience,
all links on this page will open in a new window
August 27, 2014
Reporting live from Universal Orlando
We visit Universal at least once a week to bring our fans live in-park photo updates direct from Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure! To see all of our photo updates, we invite you to follow us on Twitter. If you don’t use that service, then join us on Facebook for highlights of our adventures.
Current promotions & resort-wide changes
September & November park hours
Universal has changed its parks hours for almost every day in September. What’s more, USF is now scheduled to open at 8:00am throughout the second half of September, a first for the park. In addition, Universal has published its park hours for November. This is a big update – see a full explanation of all the changes and additions on our free 12-month Universal Orlando crowd calendar.
Free wifi & new Universal mobile app
It’s official: As of mid-June, Universal Orlando Resort now offers free wifi access across Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Universal CityWalk. They’ve also published an all-new mobile app for iOS and Android – to read our guide, click here.
Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Florida residents: room rates starting at just $79 for travel now through August 31. Learn more
Blue Man Group
Florida residents: save up to $40 on Blue Man Group tickets for performance dates through September and October. Purchase tickets and more
Upcoming annual events & special celebrations
Rock the Universe 2014: Sept 5 & 6
It’s an entire weekend of great music, real faith, best friends, fist-pumping rock, praise songs, autographs, shouts of joy, lifted hands and lifted hearts – and you can be a part of every second of it, from the very first scream to the final amen. Learn more
HHN 2014: Select nights Sept 19 – Nov 1
Step right into some of the most pulse-pounding moments in horror history at Halloween Horror Nights, the nation’s premier Halloween event. Explore eight terrifying haunted houses, multiple street experiences, two outrageous live shows, and many of your favorite rides and attractions. Learn more
*On-site hotel events*
On Thursday, August 28, Hard Rock Hotel continues Orlando’s hottest lobby party with its “Velvet Sessions” series featuring Eve 6. Purchase includes admission at 6:30pm with free specialty drinks, finger foods, warm-up tunes until the show starts, and complimentary valet parking. The featured entertainment takes the stage at 8:00pm. Regular guest tickets are $29 online, $30 at the door, and limited VIP tickets are $50 online only and include all the benefits of a regular ticket plus access to a special viewing area with private bar. Learn more
Hard Rock Live
Located at Universal CityWalk, Hard Rock Live is a multi-use performance center that features a variety of acts, from pop and rock artists, to standup comedians, to special events both public and private. Because Hard Rock Live has dozens of events scheduled at any one time, we aren’t able to list them here – so be sure to check out their website to see if one of your favorite acts will be on-site when you’re on-site!
Universal Studios Florida
Cinematic Spectacular – USF’s nighttime lagoon show will not run on many dates this fall as follows: Rock the Universe event dates September 5 & 6, additional dates September 4, 16, 17 & 18, and all Halloween Horror Nights event dates starting September 19 and running through November 1. The easiest way to check if Cinematic Spectacular is scheduled to run: view our crowd calendar – if USF closes before 7:00pm, the show won’t be running that evening. To learn more about the actual performance and read real guest reviews, visit our Cinematic Spectacular page.
Diagon Alley – JAWS and its home on Amity Island were closed permanently on January 3, 2012, to make way for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley, which officially opened July 8, 2014. This ‘London’ portion of the Harry Potter story will feature new shops, a themed restaurant, and two new attractions: Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts Bank indoor coaster and a real Hogwarts Express running between ‘London’ and the original Wizarding World of Harry Potter over at Islands of Adventure. Visit our Insider’s guide to the Wizarding World to learn so, so much more.
Fear Factor Live – During Halloween season, the Fear Factor Live amphitheater is used for HHN’s Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure. Because of this, Fear Factor Live is “closed for seasonal maintenance” throughout August, September, and October, and could remain closed for much of November and December. To learn more about the show and read real guest reviews, visit our Fear Factor Live page, or you can visit the OI Forums to discuss Bill & Ted’s.
Starbucks – Starting construction on April 28 and completed June 17, the Starbucks location at Universal Studios Florida (near Beetlejuice Graveyard Revue) has expanded. You can take a peek inside here and here.
The list above is only a summary of the current attraction refurbishments, openings, and closings at Universal Studios Florida. For a complete list of the park’s attractions, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Islands of Adventure
Cat in the Hat – As of late May, this attraction now has a height restriction: 36 inches, and children between 36 and 48 inches must be accompanied by a supervising companion. This comes after a rumored guest incident earlier in the year caused Universal to reduce the ride’s considerable spinning down a sway. To learn more about the attraction and read real guest reviews, visit our Cat in the Hat page.
King Kong – The return of King Kong to Universal Orlando has been a rumor that is at least two years old. Nowadays, it seems all but confirmed that a King Kong “island” will be built at Islands of Adventure, between Jurassic Park and Toon Lagoon, with a rumored opening date of summer 2016 to coincide with Lengendary Films’ Skull Island. Because this is still a rumor, we don’t have a page dedicated to it in the OI Universal Center, but you can learn more in the OI Forums.
The list above is only a summary of the current attraction refurbishments, openings, and closings at Islands of Adventure. For a complete list of the park’s attractions, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Blue Man Group ticketing changes – As of May 2014, Blue Man Group at Universal CityWalk is offering a new ticket pricing structure and admission options, including “Meal and Show” deals, Poncho, and Premium seating. In the new pricing structure based on seasonality, tickets start as low as $60 (or $49 for Florida residents), but may go as high as $115 during peak dates and performance times. To learn more, visit Universal’s BMG page or contact the box office at 407-BLUEMAN (407-258-3626).
Eight new venues – On December 12, 2013, Universal announced the largest expansion in CityWalk history, which includes the addition of eight new venues: The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar, Antojitos Authentic Mexican Food, VIVO Italian Kitchen, Hot Dog Hall of Fame, Red Oven Pizza Bakery, Bread Box, Cold Stone Creamery, and Menchies Frozen Yogurt. For full details and analysis, see this blog post. As of August 2014, all the new venues are now open except for Cowfish.
Looking for CityWalk events? They are included in our Events section near the top of the page — skip up there.
For more information about Universal CityWalk, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Loews on-site hotels
Free wifi – Standard in-room wireless internet access is now offered for free at all of Universal’s on-site hotels as of late January 2014. (It’s worth noting that free wifi was already available in the hotels’ public spaces.) We mention that the access is standard because, while it is good enough for basic social media browsing, etc., it is not fast enough to handle massive photo gallery uploads or HD movie streaming. Guests wishing to have faster internet speeds can upgrade to a premium service for $14.95 per day.
Cabana Bay Beach Resort – Phase one of Universal’s new Cabana Bay Beach Resort (North Courtyard) is open to guest as of March 31, 2014. Phase two, including the towers and Universal’s first lazy river (South Courtyard), are open as of June 16. To learn more, visit our Cabana Bay pages in the OI Universal Center.
Royal Pacific Resort: Character Breakfast – New last summer and continuing through 2014, every Sunday families can enjoy traditional breakfast favorites with an island twist at Jake’s American Bar while Universal characters stop by for photos and unforgettable laughs. For pricing and reservations, call 407-503-DINE. See the menu (PDF file)
Looking for hotel events? They are included in our Events section near the top of the page — skip up there.
The list above is only a summary of the current projects relating to the Loews on-site hotels at Universal Orlando. For complete details about these properties, including over 700 full-screen photos, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Universal Orlando PASSPORT newsletter
The Summer 2014 PASSPORT mailer for Annual Passholders is out. If you missed your copy, you can view it here (PDF file).
If you’d like, you can also view the…
See everything else you’ve been missing
When we say that Orlando Informer is the world’s leading resource for Universal Orlando vacation planning, we’re not just blowin’ smoke. Start your journey through our knowledge by following any link below.
Please note that these links will open in the same window.
- Use our site to plan the perfect Universal Orlando vacation
- Destinations in Florida
- Real guest reviews of Universal Orlando
- Universal Orlando Snapshot
- Universal Orlando Daily Updates
- Universal Orlando 12-month crowd calendar with park hours & special events
- Best day of the week to visit Universal Orlando
- The Script: TICKETS, PACKAGES & PLANNING
- Maps, Riders Guide & vacation brochure for Universal
- Attraction Assistance & Express Guest Assistance Passes
- Universal vacation packages – an insider’s guide
- Top 12 easiest ways to save time & money at Universal
- Universal Orlando wait times based on crowd levels
- Universal Express Passes – complete insider’s guide
- Secret to getting UNLIMITED Express Passes
- Universal’s Q-bot Ride Reservation System
- Complete guide to the Universal Dining Plans
- Dining reservations at Universal Orlando Resort
- Parking & Universal’s transportation hub
- Shuttles, taxis & towncars: Transportation in Orlando
- Orlando average monthly temperatures
- What to pack for your Universal Orlando vacation
- The Set: MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR VACATION
- Top 5 thrill rides at Universal Orlando
- Shopping & merchandise at Universal Orlando
- Visiting Universal Studios Florida with kids – complete guide
- Visiting Islands of Adventure with kids – complete guide
- Rental lockers & ride lockers at Universal
- Characters at Universal’s theme parks
- Child Swap at Universal’s thrill rides
- MIB Alien Attack: How to max out your score at 999,999
- Refillable cups, popcorn buckets & Coke Freestyle at Universal
- Free internet access at Universal Orlando Resort
- Universal Photo Connect & ride photos
- 20 ideas for free or inexpensive entertainment around Orlando
- Insider’s guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Hogsmeade crowds: You gotta see this before you go
- Only guaranteed ways to beat the crowds at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- How to ensure your trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is a success!
- Early Park Admission to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Return tickets & standby line to enter the Wizarding World
- Interactive wands & spell-casting in the Wizarding World
- The specialty drinks, meals, and desserts of Diagon Alley
- Leaky Cauldron: The grandest feast a wizard can have
- Shopping & merchandise at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley
- Shopping & merchandise at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
- Forbidden Journey: Ultimate unofficial guide
- The very best way to experience Forbidden Journey
- Ollivander’s at Hogsmeade: How long is the wait and is it worth it?
- Dragon Challenge: Secrets of the queue
- Three Broomsticks & Hog’s Head: Drink in the details
- Diagon Alley: Spoiler-free guide and grand opening details
- Events at Universal Orlando
- Universal Orlando touring plans
- Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure 1-day touring plan
- Ultimate Universal Studios Florida 1-day touring plan
- Ultimate Islands of Adventure 1-day touring plan
- Universal 3-day touring plan for on-site guests: Day 1
- Universal 3-day touring plan for on-site guests: Day 2
- Universal 3-day touring plan for on-site guests: Day 3
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter touring plan
- Design your own Universal Orlando touring plans
- Universal Studios Florida
- Universal’s Superstar Parade
- Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular
- In-park dining experiences at USF
- Production Central
- New York
- San Francisco
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley
- Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
- The Hogwarts Express
- Tales of Beedle the Bard & Celestina Warbeck
- Ollivander’s Wand Shop – Diagon Alley
- London waterfront
- Diagon Alley shopping
- Horizont Alley
- Carkitt Market
- Knockturn Alley
- Leaky Cauldron (quick-service)
- Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlor (quick-service)
- World Expo / Springfield USA
- Fear Factor Live
- MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack
- Welcome to Springfield USA
- The Simpsons Ride
- Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl
- Bumblebee Man’s Taco Truck (quick-service)
- Duff Brewery (limited-service bar)
- Moe’s Tavern (limited-service bar)
- Simpsons Fast Food Blvd – overview
- Woody Woodpecker’s KidZone
- Islands of Adventure
- Port of Entry
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Jurassic Park
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
- Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
- Universal CityWalk
- Restaurants at Universal CityWalk
- Shows & other entertainment at Universal Citywalk
- On-site hotels at Universal Orlando
- Loews Portofino Bay Hotel: Jet away to the Italian Riviera
- Hard Rock Hotel Orlando: Live the rock ‘n roll lifestyle
- Loews Royal Pacific Resort: Your South Seas escape is waiting
- Cabana Bay Beach Resort: Splash back to the 1950s & 60s
- Comparing Universal Orlando’s three deluxe on-site hotels
- On-site hotel discounts for Annual Passholders
- Off-site hotels around Universal Orlando
- Orlando Informer has transformed – learn about our changes!
- Find your style with Stella & Dot and support Orlando Informer