This page is our totally up-to-date one-stop-shop for everything that is currently happening at Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and all of Universal Orlando Resort!
Now that you’ve found this page, you don’t have to worry about rummaging through thousands of message board posts or waiting until you get to the parks to find out about attraction refurbs, construction projects, special events, and everything else that could affect your visit. (Yeah, this is a good page to bookmark.)
For your convenience,
all links on this page will open in a new window
Crowd estimate, Dec 26 – 30: Very Busy
USF & IOA, Dec 26 – 30: 8:00am to 11:00pm
Early Admission: 7:00am at USF & IOA (learn more)
Special event: Holidays 2014
Reporting live from Universal Orlando
We visit Universal once a week to bring our fans live in-park photo updates direct from Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure! To see all of our photo updates as they happen, we invite you to follow us on Twitter. Then, once each weekly visit is over, we upload all of our photos to our Flickr page, where we already have nearly 10,000 images posted!
Current promotions & resort-wide changes
Early Park Admission too
Starting Saturday, December 20, both Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure will offer Early Park Admission. Open to qualifying guests are all the attractions and experiences inside the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley (USF) and Hogsmeade (IOA), as well as the Hogwarts Express (for those with park-to-park admission). For more, see our Complete guide to Early Park Admission at the Wizarding World, or pick up the discussion in our forums.
Free wifi & new Universal mobile app
It’s official: As of mid-June, Universal Orlando Resort now offers free wifi access across Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Universal CityWalk. They’ve also published an all-new mobile app for iOS and Android – to read our guide, click here.
Universal continues its promotion for active and retired military personnel. Through June 7, 2015, qualifying guests may purchase up to six 3-day admission tickets for the price of a 1-day ticket, saving roughly $50 per ticket. An extra discount has also been extended for vacation packages including accommodations at Cabana Bay Beach Resort. To learn more, visit this topic in the OI Forums. Please note, these military offers are only available with valid identification on participating bases at ITT or Leisure Travel Service Offices.
Buy two days get the third day free
Starting October 14, 2014 and running through June 7, 2015, U.S. and Canada residents can get a free day of admission when they purchase a 2-day park-to-park ticket for Universal Orlando. This equals about $10 in savings per tickets ($176 versus $186). Please note that this offer is specifically blocked out from December 26 to January 3, the busiest week of the year for Central Florida theme parks. To get your free day, contact your favorite travel agent (ours is Destinations in Florida!) or shop online at Universal. For discussion and full details, visit this topic in the OI Forums.
Upcoming annual events & special celebrations
Holiday festivities: Dec 6 – Jan 3
Universal invites you to start “untraditional” holiday traditions at Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure. Enjoy the majesty of The Macy’s Holiday Parade, and splendor of Mannheim Steamroller live in concert, the delights of the Who’s of Who-ville, the naughtiness of The Grinch himself! To learn more, visit our Holidays 2014 guide.
New Year’s Eve: Dec 31
Are you ready for some of the most exciting New Year’s Eve activities outside of the Big Apple? From Universal CityWalk’s fabulous Eve 12.31.14 event – featuring Orlando’s largest dance floor – to the festivities at the on-site hotels, you can find the right party for every person in the family. Learn more and purchase tickets
*On-site hotel events*
On Friday, December 19, enjoy a Velvet Unplugged performance featuring Carl Dixon (formerly of The Guess Who). This laid back acoustic show will includes hits such as “American Woman” and “These Eyes,” as well as festive holiday favorites. Table for 2 is $40; Table for 6 is $60; tickets include the performance, first round of drinks, and valet parking. The show can also be viewed from a complimentary standing room section (parking fees apply). Purchase tickets online, or for more information, call 407-503-2402.
Then on Wednesday, December 31, celebrate New Year’s Eve with family-friendly events at Universal’s on-site hotels. To check out the action, visit our New Year’s Eve 2014 page and scroll down past the CityWalk information.
Hard Rock Live
Located at Universal CityWalk, Hard Rock Live is a multi-use performance center that features a variety of acts, from pop and rock artists, to standup comedians, to special events both public and private. Because Hard Rock Live has dozens of events scheduled at any one time, we aren’t able to list them here – so be sure to check out their website to see if one of your favorite acts will be on-site when you’re on-site!
Universal Studios Florida
Cinematic Spectacular – USF’s nighttime lagoon show will not run on the evenings of December 6, 7, 13 & 14. It is scheduled to run on every other night in December, generally at park closing time (always double-check with your in-park guidemap). To learn more about the show and read real guest reviews, visit our Cinematic Spectacular page.
Diagon Alley – JAWS and its home on Amity Island were closed permanently on January 3, 2012, to make way for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley, which officially opened July 8, 2014. This ‘London’ portion of the Harry Potter story features new shops, a themed restaurant, and two new attractions: Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts Bank simulator experience and a real Hogwarts Express running between ‘London’ and the original Wizarding World of Harry Potter over at Islands of Adventure. Visit our Insider’s guide to the Wizarding World to learn so, so much more.
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit – If you’re familiar with the thrill rides at Universal, you likely know that loose articles are not permitted on them, but you were okay if you could fit something in your pocket. The parks have now taken this policy a step further for Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit (USF) and The Incredible Hulk Coaster (IOA). On these two rides, absolutely no personal items are permitted, even if you can comfortably fit them into your pockets. This includes but is not limited to cell phones, wallets, keys, loose changes, and hats. The only published exception is a lanyard holding only tickets. Of course, free lockers are available for your convenience (learn more in our locker guide).
Park Plaza Holiday Shop – Get in the holiday spirit with festive decorations from USF’s newest merchandise location, Park Plaza Holiday Shop, now open as of October 15, 2014. Park Plaza Holiday Shop offers an assortment of themed decor featuring Despicable Me, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Cat and the Hat, The Simpsons, Santa Clause, Betty Boop, and more. The store also features a collection of gift items, including seasonal hats and scarves, jewelry, and mugs. Park Plaza Holiday Store is located across from Transformers, near Gramercy Park. To see photos inside the new store, visit this topic in the OI Forums.
The list above is only a summary of the current attraction refurbishments, openings, and closings at Universal Studios Florida. For a complete list of the park’s attractions, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Islands of Adventure
Cat in the Hat – As of late May, this attraction now has a height restriction: 36 inches, and children between 36 and 48 inches must be accompanied by a supervising companion. This comes after a rumored guest incident earlier in the year caused Universal to reduce the ride’s considerable spinning down a sway. To learn more about the attraction and read real guest reviews, visit our Cat in the Hat page.
The Incredible Hulk Coaster – If you’re familiar with the thrill rides at Universal, you likely know that loose articles are not permitted on them, but you were okay if you could fit something in your pocket. The parks have now taken this policy a step further for Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit (USF) and The Incredible Hulk (IOA). On these two rides, absolutely no personal items are permitted, even if you can comfortably fit them into your pockets. This includes but is not limited to cell phones, wallets, keys, loose changes, and hats. The only published exception is a lanyard holding only tickets. Of course, free lockers are available for your convenience (learn more in our locker guide).
King Kong – The return of King Kong to Universal Orlando has been a rumor that is at least two years old. Nowadays, it seems all but confirmed that a King Kong “island” will be built at Islands of Adventure, between Jurassic Park and Toon Lagoon, with a rumored opening date of late 2015 or early 2016. Because this is still a rumor, we don’t have a page dedicated to it in the OI Universal Center, but you can learn more and discuss in the OI Forums.
The list above is only a summary of the current attraction refurbishments, openings, and closings at Islands of Adventure. For a complete list of the park’s attractions, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Eight new venues – On December 12, 2013, Universal announced the largest expansion in CityWalk history, which includes the addition of eight new venues: The Cowfish, Antojitos Authentic Mexican Food, VIVO Italian Kitchen, Hot Dog Hall of Fame, Red Oven Pizza Bakery, Bread Box, Cold Stone Creamery, and Menchies Frozen Yogurt. For full details and analysis, see this blog post. As of November 2014, all the new venues are open. To go beyond our analysis for reviews and additional info, follow these links:
- The Cowfish
- VIVO Italian Kitchen
- Antojitos Authentic Mexican Food
- Bread Box and Hot Dog Hall of Fame
- Menchie’s and the remodeled Universal Studios Store
NASCAR Sports Grille – On September 27, 2014, Universal posted an announcement on its Facebook Page that NASCAR Sports Grille was scheduled to close November 1, and so it did. This is not entirely surprising, as the closure has been rumored for almost a year. The venue’s replacement? Many suspected that an NBC Sported themed venue would rather quickly take its place, but the last chatter is suggesting a much more comprehensive demo and rebuild.
Looking for CityWalk events? They are included in our Events section near the top of the page — skip up there.
For more information about Universal CityWalk, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Loews on-site hotels
Free wifi – Standard in-room wireless internet access is now offered for free at all of Universal’s on-site hotels as of late January 2014. (It’s worth noting that free wifi was already available in the hotels’ public spaces.) We mention that the access is standard because, while it is good enough for basic social media browsing, etc., it is not fast enough to handle massive photo gallery uploads or HD movie streaming. Guests wishing to have faster internet speeds can upgrade to a premium service for $14.95 per day.
Cabana Bay Garden Resort – The Garden Bridge & Walkway connecting Cabana Bay Beach Resort to Universal CityWalk (and the theme parks) is now open as of November 2014. For a full video and photo tour as well as a map and additional details, visit our Cabana Bay: Distance from the parks page.
Loews Sapphire Falls Resort – On September 9, 2014, Universal announced its fifth on-site hotel. The new property, featuring a Caribbean theme, 1,000 guest rooms, and substantial convention space, is scheduled to open summer 2016. It’s located between Royal Pacific Resort and Cabana Bay Beach Resort. This is a developing story – to learn more and see the initial concept artwork, visit our new section in the OI Forums.
Looking for hotel events? They are included in our Events section near the top of the page — skip up there.
The list above is only a summary of the current projects relating to the Loews on-site hotels at Universal Orlando. For complete details about these properties, including over 700 full-screen photos, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Universal Orlando PASSPORT newsletter
The Winter 2014 PASSPORT newsletter for Annual Passholders is out. If you missed your copy, you can view it here (PDF file).
If you’d like, you can also view the…
See everything else you’ve been missing
When we say that Orlando Informer is the world’s leading resource for Universal Orlando vacation planning, we’re not just blowin’ smoke. Start your journey through our knowledge by following any link below.
Please note that these links will open in the same window.
- Use our site to plan the perfect Universal Orlando vacation
- Destinations in Florida
- Real guest reviews of Universal Orlando
- Universal Orlando Snapshot
- Universal Orlando Daily Updates
- Universal Orlando 12-month crowd calendar with park hours & special events
- Best day of the week to visit Universal Orlando
- The Script: TICKETS, PACKAGES & PLANNING
- Maps, Riders Guide & vacation brochure for Universal
- Attraction Assistance & Express Guest Assistance Passes
- Universal vacation packages – an insider’s guide
- Top 12 easiest ways to save time & money at Universal
- Universal Orlando wait times based on crowd levels
- Universal Express Passes – complete insider’s guide
- Secret to getting UNLIMITED Express Passes
- Universal’s Q-bot Ride Reservation System
- Complete guide to the Universal Dining Plans
- Dining reservations at Universal Orlando Resort
- Parking & Universal’s transportation hub
- Shuttles, taxis & towncars: Transportation in Orlando
- Orlando average monthly temperatures
- What to pack for your Universal Orlando vacation
- The Set: MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR VACATION
- Top 5 thrill rides at Universal Orlando
- Shopping & merchandise at Universal Orlando
- Visiting Universal Studios Florida with kids – complete guide
- Visiting Islands of Adventure with kids – complete guide
- Rental lockers & ride lockers at Universal
- Characters at Universal’s theme parks
- Child Swap at Universal’s thrill rides
- MIB Alien Attack: How to max out your score at 999,999
- Refillable cups, popcorn buckets & Coke Freestyle at Universal
- Free internet access at Universal Orlando Resort
- Universal Photo Connect & ride photos
- 20 ideas for free or inexpensive entertainment around Orlando
- Insider’s guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Only guaranteed ways to beat the crowds at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- How to ensure your trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is a success!
- Early Park Admission to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Return tickets & standby line to enter the Wizarding World
- Interactive wands & spell-casting in the Wizarding World
- The specialty drinks, meals, and desserts of Diagon Alley
- Leaky Cauldron: The grandest feast a wizard can have
- Shopping & merchandise at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley
- Shopping & merchandise at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
- Forbidden Journey: Ultimate unofficial guide
- The very best way to experience Forbidden Journey
- Ollivander’s at Hogsmeade: How long is the wait and is it worth it?
- Dragon Challenge: Secrets of the queue
- Three Broomsticks & Hog’s Head: Drink in the details
- Diagon Alley: Spoiler-free guide and grand opening details
- Events at Universal Orlando
- Halloween Horror Nights 2014
- Thanksgiving 2014
- Holidays 2014
- New Year’s Eve 2014
- Mardi Gras 2015
- Summer Concert Series 2015
- Rock the Universe 2015
- Universal Orlando touring plans
- Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure 1-day touring plan
- Ultimate Universal Studios Florida 1-day touring plan
- Ultimate Islands of Adventure 1-day touring plan
- Universal 3-day touring plan for on-site guests: Day 1
- Universal 3-day touring plan for on-site guests: Day 2
- Universal 3-day touring plan for on-site guests: Day 3
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter touring plan
- Design your own Universal Orlando touring plans
- Universal Studios Florida
- Universal’s Superstar Parade
- Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular
- In-park dining experiences at USF
- Production Central
- New York
- San Francisco
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley
- Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
- The Hogwarts Express
- Tales of Beedle the Bard & Celestina Warbeck
- Ollivander’s Wand Shop – Diagon Alley
- London waterfront
- Diagon Alley shopping
- Horizont Alley
- Carkitt Market
- Knockturn Alley
- Leaky Cauldron (quick-service)
- Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlor (quick-service)
- World Expo / Springfield USA
- Fear Factor Live
- MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack
- Welcome to Springfield USA
- The Simpsons Ride
- Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl
- Bumblebee Man’s Taco Truck (quick-service)
- Duff Brewery (limited-service bar)
- Moe’s Tavern (limited-service bar)
- Simpsons Fast Food Blvd – overview
- Woody Woodpecker’s KidZone
- Islands of Adventure
- Port of Entry
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Jurassic Park
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
- Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
- Universal CityWalk
- Restaurants at Universal CityWalk
- Shows & other entertainment at Universal Citywalk
- On-site hotels at Universal Orlando
- Loews Portofino Bay Hotel: Jet away to the Italian Riviera
- Hard Rock Hotel Orlando: Live the rock ‘n roll lifestyle
- Loews Royal Pacific Resort: Your South Seas escape is waiting
- Cabana Bay Beach Resort: Splash back to the 1950s & 60s
- Comparing Universal Orlando’s three deluxe on-site hotels
- On-site hotel discounts for Annual Passholders
- Off-site hotels around Universal Orlando
- Orlando Informer has transformed – learn about our changes!
- Find your style with Stella & Dot and support Orlando Informer